IB Coordinator: Eric Knapp
Phone number: 678-875-0902
Community and service
• How do we live in relation to others?
• How can I contribute to the community?
• How can I help others?
Community and service starts in the classroom and extends beyond it, requiring students to take an active part in the communities in which they live.
Giving importance to the sense of community throughout the programme encourages responsible citizenship as it seeks to deepen the adolescent's knowledge and understanding of the world around them. The emphasis is on developing community awareness and concern, and the skills needed to make an effective contribution to society.
Students are encouraged to make connections between their intellectual and social growth, thereby refining their affective, creative and ethical as well as cognitive development. This is achieved through a process of discovery of self and community, and reflections inside as well as outside the classroom.
Requirements: Students will be required to complete a minimum of 15 hours of community and service. All service hours must be completed by April 30, 2019.
Students who successfully complete their service hours will be presented with a Community and Service Award at the end of the year. The students with the highest number of hours will be recognized separately.
Students should follow the procedures outlined below to accrue hours;
1. Participate in a community service activity. The student will receive no monetary or non monetary incentives or rewards for the service.
2. The student needs to complete a community and service reflection form and return to Mrs. Mason - IB Coordinator. Forms are located and can be returned to the yellow folders in the main hallway. Forms can also be downloaded from the webpage.
3. The form must be signed by the adult supervising the activity. Parents may not sign for Community and Service hours.